Chiliquiles

I don't know where I got this recipe so I can't give credit to the blogger who originally found it. If that blogger happens to find me (needle in a haystack), please let me know and I'll properly credit you.

Tortilla Chips, several handfuls
8 Eggs - beat together in a bowl
1 can of Diced Green Chiles - do not drain
1 large can of Enchilada Sauce - green or red, it's up to you
1/2 cup diced onion - doesn't matter which type
1/2 cup Water
Shredded Cheddar
1 large cooked Chicken Breast
1 c. shredded cheese

In a LARGE skillet heat cook the onion in a little oil until just tender.
Add 1/2 can of diced green chiles and the diced chicken and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
Add about 4-5 large handfuls of tortilla chips to the pan and fold together so the onions,green chiles and oil coat the chips.
Let cook for about another minute or so then add water.
Continue to stir and let cook for about 2 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium. Pour the eggs over the tortilla chips making
sure it's evenly distributed all around the pan.
Add the rest of your green chiles now, including the liquid.
This will need to cook until the eggs are over-medium about 8 minutes.
With a spatula, push away the edges of the eggs from the pan to make sure they are cooking
evenly and a few swipes under to make sure it's not burning and to move the uncooked egg to the pan surface.
Now pour your enchilada sauce of choice evenly around the pan.
Lift the eggs again with your spatula to make sure the enchilada sauce goes underneath.
Cover skillet and let simmer for about 5 minutes or until the eggs are just about done and the sauce is getting hot.
Sprinkle your cheese on top about 2 handfuls.
Re-cover and cook until cheese is melted.


My note, the recipe called for adding some salsa along with the eggs but I don't remember if I did that or not. I need to revisit this recipe again.

Comments

Popular Posts