Pot roast

I've made a few where I kinds just threw some things in a crock pot and hoped for the best.  This was better than the best.  We had a strange cut of meat from the moo we share with my inlaws.  Heel of round roast aka Pikes Peak roast (named after our favorite front range mountain because of it's triangular shape).  I made some adaptations from this recipe from My Kitchen in the Rockies.  

1-there was no way I was turning on my oven for 3 hours in the middle of the afternoon for this.  I used my crockpot instead
2-I had some diced tomatoes in the freezer from a big can I'd used somewhere else

I want to thicken up the sauce next time, maybe with a cornstarch slurry for my gravy.  It was a little too thin this way.

3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 or so pounds heel of round roast or other pot roast cut of beef
2 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups red wine
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
salt
pepper
garlic powder
balsamic vinegar to taste*

Layer the carrots and onions on the bottom of a crockpot then add your roast.
Sprinkle the roast with salt, pepper and garlic powder on top, maybe 1/2 tsp of each
Add the wine and tomatoes and their juice to the sides.
Cook on low for 8-9 hours.
Remove the roast and slice.
Take a stick blender to your sauce and smooth it out (here's where I would thicken the sauce).
Add the beef back in and let the sauce get into the beef.
Serve over egg noodles and salad on the side.

*I added a little balsamic vinegar after everything was cooked.  It was lacking a little acidity and I think this helped.

Comments

Popular Posts