Sushi rice

I removed a version of sushi rice from this blog because I followed my own recipe and freaking burned it to the bottom of the pan.  I have no idea what went wrong but I didn't want to do it again.

It was a while until we tried it again but I've found a method that is great all the time.

From Use Real Butter

Take one part rice and rinse until clean then soak in water for at least 30 minutes
Drain and combine with one part water in a large saucepan, cover, and bring to a boil over medium high heat
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes
Turn off heat and let the rice steam for another 10 minutes
DO NOT REMOVE THE LID TO CHECK ON IT!!!!

We use sushi rice or California Calrose rice for most of our rice based meals now.  I still have brown rice for casseroles and aroborio for risotto but so long, long grain rice.  This makes a great sticky rice that we use for stir fry, as a base for sweet and sour chicken and for our fried rice dishes.

To continue to make sushi-
for every 2 cups of uncooked rice, following the recipe as above-
Combine 3 tbs rice vinegar
1 tsp salt and
2 tbs sugar and warm until melted (I think I would do this in the microwave)

Mound the rice in the center of a large bowl and pour the mixture over the rice and mix to combine
Let cool until the rice is room temperature and then assemble your nigiri or maki


Comments

  1. my biggest problem with making rice...bringing to a boil and then turn to simmer. without fail, it always boils over. this is part due to my forgetfulness, and part due to my stove.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts