Chicken noodle soup with ginger and lemongrass

From My Recipes.

I strayed from the recipe a little bit to add more pasta so I added more home made broth, not sure on the amounts.  I added stock until it looked right.  This was great, kids enjoyed it as well.  I know they aren't fans of ginger so I cut back for them.  Since I used homemade no salt stock, we had to season it after it was cooked.  Adults added some chili garlic paste!
Next time I'm going to add veggies like carrots and snow peas.
And for a gluten free version, soak some thin rice noodles.  Check the package directions for cooking instructions, many require soaking in water for only a few minutes.

1 tablespoon vegetable oil  
1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic 
1 tablespoon bottled grated ginger 
2 stalks fresh lemongrass, peeled 
2 cups water 
2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth 
1 pound chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces 
8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta  
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
2 green onions, thinly sliced 


Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add garlic, ginger, and lemongrass; sauté 3 minutes (add your veggies to this step and cook for a few minutes).
Add water and broth; bring to a boil.
Add chicken and pasta; cook 5 minutes or until chicken is done.
Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients.
Let stand 5 minutes.
Discard lemongrass.

Comments

Popular Posts