Chorizo and black bean dip

I've had this pinned for a while and needed an excuse to make it and share with a crowd.  I made it for apps for Christmas dinner with the family.  The only substitute we made was on the bell pepper.  We didn't have any fresh bell pepper but we had some roasted red peppers.  We used one large one, finely chopped.  Edit-looks like I added a whole can of black beans instead of the called for 1 cup.  I also portion out my beans in 2 c. portions when I make them from scratch and a can of beans is the same amount.  If we were going to make burritos later in the week and could use the leftover beans, I'd use 1 cup.  If not, I would make it again with a full can of beans.

From How Sweet Eats

1/2 pound chorizo
1 large shallot, diced
1 small jalapeño, seeded and diced
1/2 red pepper, diced (don't sub in roasted pepper as in the above notes)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups of your favorite beer
1 (8-ounce) block of cream cheese, softened
12 ounces of white cheddar cheese, freshly grated
1 cup of black beans (or the whole can, see my above note)
sliced scallions + cilantro for topping

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Remove any casing from the chorizo and add to the skillet, using a wooden spoon to break apart the sausage until it is in crumbles.
Cook until the fat is rendered and the sausage appears to be cooked through.
Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain.
Keep the heat under the skillet around medium-low and add olive oil, peppers, shallot and garlic with a pinch of salt.
Stir well to coat.
Let cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Turn the heat up to medium and add beer.
After a few minutes, stir in softened cream cheese and continue stirring until it's melted.
Once it is creamy, add in the white cheddar, stirring again until melted, reducing the heat to low.
Stir in the black beans and sausage, then remove from heat and serve immediately.
Top with scallions and cilantro if desired.

I-can't-call-them-toddlers-anymore Review
I made sure we had something else for them because I thought it was going to be too spicy for them.  Nope, they loved it.  


Comments

Popular Posts