Broccoli and wild rice casserole

From the Pioneer Woman.

This was my cooking assignment for round two of Thanksgiving meals this year.  I was going to make the kale and rice gratin from Smitten Kitchen's cookbook but decided on the PW one instead.  My kids like broccoli a little bit more than kale.  

I will fully admit, there's a lot of chopping here.  I almost pulled out my food processor to make easier work of the veggies but didn't.   This was great though.  I used a rice blend that had wild, brown and pink rice and I cooked it until about 5 minutes from being done.  I strained out the extra broth that didn't get absorbed.  Just keep an eye on it.  

2 c. uncooked wild rice or your favorite rice blend
8 c. chicken broth, divided
3 medium heads of broccoli, chopped into florets
1 lbs sliced white or crimini mushrooms or a mixture of both
1 stick of butter, divided
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
4 tbs flour
1/2 c heavy cream or half and half 
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. Panko 

Cook the rice with 5 c. of chicken broth until the rice is about 5 minutes from being done, about 35-40 minutes and set aside.

Meanwhile blanch the broccoli for about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes and then shock in ice water and drain (I try to keep my broccoli crisp since that's what Mr. PB&C likes it.  I cooked for 2 1/2 minutes and it was great)

Melt 6 tbs butter in a large pot and cooked the mushrooms until they've released all their water.

Then add onions, celery, and carrot and cook until the vegetables are soft.

Sprinkle over 4 tbs of flour (or GF baking mix) and cook 1-2 minutes.

Pour in 3 more cups of broth, bring to a simmer and let thicken.

Off heat, add in your cream or half and half, taste for seasoning.

Combine rice, broccoli and broth mixture or layer if desired.

Melt 2 tbs of butter and mix with Panko in a small bowl and add on top.

Bake at 375 covered for 20 minutes and then uncovered for 15 minutes until the Panko is brown and the casserole is heated through.

Comments

Popular Posts