Pesto

Adapted from Serious Eats
 
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves, rinsed and dried (2-3 ounces, I'm guessing)
1/4 cup almonds
3 medium garlic cloves 
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil 
1/3 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese 
Kosher salt 
Freshly ground black pepper
 
Place basil and pine nuts in the bowl of a food processor.
Pulse until basil and almonds  are finely chopped, about 10-15 1 second pulses, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
Add garlic and pulse to combine.
With the food processor running, pour oil through feed tube in a slow, steady stream.
Keep food processor running until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as necessary
Add the Parmesan and pulse to combine.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or in a Ziploc bag in the freezer for up to six months.

8/2020 update
8 ounces of basil makes 4 of the above mentioned batches.  I split it in half and then mixed both batches since I eyeballed the basil.  One was basil heavy and dry and the other was super oily, hence mixing the two batches.  This makes 6 4 ounce servings.  

9/2022 update-
I got a very large bag of basil from my mom's friend.  I washed and spun it dry and then measured it this morning, 5 bunches of 2 cups of leaves.  It made 7 very heavy 4 ounce servings.  The first batch didn't turn out well since I only used 2 cups of leaves.  For my size food processor, use 4 cups of leaves, making sure to scrape it down a lot.  Add the garlic and scrape down.  Add the oil to the top and let it drizzle a little then turn it on.  The first batch didn't have enough volume of stuff so when i turned it on, the force just flung everything onto the sides letting the oil drip to the bare bottom of the food processor bowl.  This ended up giving me a batch that wasn't well chopped and not emulsified.  If I was making a half batch, just use the small processor.  

Comments

Popular Posts