Bechamel trick for new users of a gas range

 Since switching from electric to gas, we've had many, many successes and one big fail.  We love our mac and cheese over here at the PB & Chutney house but the last two times we've made mac and cheese from scratch, the sauce has not thickened after adding the liquid.  I couldn't get the butter and flour part to look right.  It never thicken there which meant it didn't thicken after adding my liquid.  I got a tip from my mom today and it worked.  Thanks, Bijou!

Only cook your butter and flour over medium or medium low heat.  I tried that today when making the lasagna.  I might have cooked over very medium low just to be safe.  The butter and flour thickened like a charm.  I added the liquid a little at a time, just like I did in the past and I was rewarded with a beautiful bechamel tonight.  

Comments

Popular Posts