Sourdough and Challah

I'm not going to repost these recipes but rather just post links to what I did. 

Because of youtube video I watched recently and because Use Real Butter posted a recipe for sourdough, I decided to try some bread making again.  We've tried here and there but this one was awesome.  I didn't get started on this early enough and I had to skip on about 2-3 hours of proofing and resting and kneading otherwise I followed the recipe to the letter.  One girl didn't like the "burned parts" but I'm with URB, I think it adds to the complexity of the bread.  Mr. PB&C ate about a 1/4 of it the first night after it cooked.  It's great toasted with butter and awesome as a grilled cheese.  The white on this bread was a little too much flour for dusting before I baked it.



The following weekend, I was going to make some more sourdough but realized I was out of bread flour.  Instead, another trip to google to look for a familiar name and I came across Challah from Smitten Kitchen.  I had all these ingredients on hand so this is what I made the next weekend.
Follow the link here for the alternate braiding technique.  I shared one loaf with parents and they've been enjoying it all week.  I was hoping to have enough leftover to make some french toast for the kids but I don't think I'll have much left.  It's beautiful as toast.



Comments

Popular Posts