Marinara sauce

I've made marinara sauce in the past but didn't really like it.  I've been using this sauce recipe from Food Renegade for 6 months or so.  As always, the first time I made a recipe, I follow the recipe exactly.  Over time, I've added things here and there and taken things out if I don't have them.

Here's what I did today-

4  28 ounce cans of diced tomatoes, drained of most of the juice or crushed tomatoes
1 8 ounce can tomato paste
1 large onion, diced
2-3 carrots, peeled and diced
4 cloves of garlic, diced
1/2 c chopped fresh herbs (basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, rosemary)  if using dried herbs, cut the amount in half
1/2 c water or white wine or dry vermouth
2-3 tbs sugar
3 tbs balsamic vinegar
2-3 parmesan rinds if you have them
dried or fresh mushrooms if you have them
anchovy paste if you like that sort of thing (it adds some umami)
Pepper, red pepper and salt to taste (I've learned that I almost always undersalted this recipe, I thought a few shakes would do.  Taste it after you're done and adjust as necessary)

Add everything to a crockpot and cook on low for about 9 hours. 
Remove the parmesan rind if you can find it, if not, don't worry.
After cooling a bit, use a stick blender to get the consistency you want.
Once it's totally cooled, add to jars and use. 
Don't make the mistake I made when freezing in glass jars, leave plenty of room for expansion!  Leave an inch or more headspace or your glass will break, making a mess and then you have to ditch the whole thing. 

Pressure cooker version-
Writing it down this time.  
Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes.  Don't be a goof and add the parmesan cheese rinds in first.  Good news, it came right out after cooking but there were some more flavorful bits in the sauce afterwards.  

Comments

Popular Posts