Jaegerschnitzel -now outdated-

Going to leave this recipe up but it's really not our go to recipe anymore.  Making schnitzel in the oven  is our fave and then with this sauce with mushrooms, it's a big German inspired feast.  Will continue to make the other versions instead.

Another success for a new recipe inspired from the CSA.  I had a bunch of cremini mushrooms waiting for this recipe.  A quick trip to Google and I found this recipe for Jaegershcnitzel from Kitchen Project.  I made a huge mess in the kitchen, dinner was late because I tried this on a weeknight but man was it good.


1 /4 cup olive oil and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup onion or shallot ( finely chopped)
1 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 /2 teaspoon of dried thyme, or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup dry red wine
4 Cup of Beef or Chicken stock
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 Cup sour cream , cream or cream fraische.


Melt butter and then add the olive oil in a large frying pan.
Add the garlic, onion or shallot , thyme and mushroom slices and cook till tender and lightly browned.
Add the flour and cook 1 minute.
Add the red wine and stock and bring back to a simmer.
Stir till smooth.
Add the Paprika.
Blend some of the sour cream with a little of the sauce in a stainless bowl (called tempering, the sour cream won't get shocked with the boiling stock and break)

For the schnitzel you could just pound some chicken breast or pork loin really thinly, dip in egg wash, breadcrumbs and then fry / bake them but the website for the sauce also had a link on a different version for a batter instead of egg wash that we tried (only because I was really short on eggs and didn't have enough for a plain egg wash).  I'll post it here for future reference.

1 cup milk
1 /2 cup Flour
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
2 Eggs
1 -1 / 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce 

Mix this up in your dredging station then dip your chicken / pork cutlet into the batter, then into seasoned breadcrumbs and then cook.

Toddler review-
They didn't eat all their mushrooms and I'll forgive them for it.  I didn't like mushrooms either until I was in high school.  My future father in law looked at me like I have three heads when I told him I didn't eat fungus. 



Comments

Popular Posts