Grape jelly

The grapes for the jelly I made came from Miss CJ's backyard.  Man alive were they sour.  No way could you have snacked on these.  They were tiny and had little seeds in them.  Again, I made the juice ahead of time and let it sit until I could use it. 

From Allrecipes.


I'm going to keep the recipe as written here but I made some changes. I had almost 3 1/2 pounds of grapes but it only yielded a little over 2 cups of juice instead of the 4 cups the recipe calls for. I didn't let them drain for too long as I was trying to clean up after a long day so that could have been it. I halved the sugar and was prepared to halve the pectin as well but ended up using none of it. It gelled up using the spoon test so I skipped that step.

3 1/2 pounds Concord grapes
1/2 cup water 7 cups white sugar
1/2 (6 fluid ounce) container liquid pectin

Sort and wash grapes, and remove stems.
 Place them into a large kettle and crush them.
Add water, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat, and extract juice.
Allow the juice to stand in a cool place overnight to prevent the formation of crystals in the jelly.
Strain the juice through a double thickness of damp cheesecloth.
Measure 4 cups of the juice into a large pot.
Stir in the sugar.
Quickly bring to a full rolling boil.
Stir in pectin, and allow to boil hard for 1 minute.
Remove from heat, and skim off foam.
Pour into hot sterile jars, and process for 5 minutes (plus an additional minute per 1,000 feet in altitude) in a boiling water bath.

9/3/12- With the 2 cups of juice i used, this recipe made 4 half pints of jelly.

Comments

Popular Posts