Corn Toasties

One of the foods from my childhood is gone off the shelves. My Nana loved corn toasties and the added blueberry version as well. I loved sharing these with her in the morning. True story-one morning she was helping get everyone ready for the day. My brother was about a year and a half old and he wanted one too. She toasted and buttered one for him only he didn't want butter. She turned around so he couldn't see and flipped the toastie over and gave it back to him. "Look! No more butter." I laughed at the time but I can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing myself. Anywho, on to the recipe (actually I have no idea if I need to make high altitude adjustments, I'll report back later)
From A Good Appetite.

1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/2 c + 2 T sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 c + 2 T cornmeal
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t salt
1 c milk

Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a medium-sized bowl mix together the melted butter & sugar.
Stir in the eggs and vanilla.
Add the baking powder, cornmeal, flour & salt.
Mix until everything is moistened.
Stir in milk & mix until almost smooth (a few lumps are fine).
Lightly grease a 10" x 15" baking sheet with 1/2" sides.
Pour the batter into the baking sheet, spreading into all the corners.
Bake for about 25 minutes.
The edges should be brown & pulling away from the side of the pan & the top show be set.
Allow to rest in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes.
Using a sharp knife cut into 8 pieces.
Store the toasties wrapped in plastic wrap or in a resealable bag in the refrigerator for use over the next week.
For longer storage keep them in the freezer.
To serve toast until browning & top with butter.

Comments

  1. I looked at the site where the recipe came from and saw that someone had cooked them in a muffin top pan to get the toasties to be round, like you remember them. If it were me, I'd reduce the baking powder to a tad over 1 teaspoon and see how that works.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts