Introducing, sous vide

I have a new cooking gadget, a sous vide cooker.

A big pot, sous vide cooker, some plastic bags, and clothes pins later, we made our first sous vide recipe, burgers.

When I saw Use Real Butter's post on hamburgers, I knew it needed to happen!  I try not to change the original recipe the first time I make it, but I mucked it up here.  I was afraid the fish sauce would be too strange for my kiddos.  I subbed it out for Worcestershire sauce.  It was a little lacking on salt in the end so I'll keep that in mind for the next time and oh yes, there will be a next time.

This makes 4 burgers, they are hefty burgers at 6 ounces so make sure to flatten them out, make them slightly larger than your burger bun.

24 ounces ground beef
1 tsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp salt


Mix up the beef, fish sauce and salt and portion out your burgers
Put each burger into a zip top plastic bag and use the displacement method to force air out of the bag and then seal
For medium rare, we cooked at 128 for 45 minutes
Remove from the bag, pat dry and let rest at least 10 minutes
Cook indoors in a pan or toss on a grill and to bring some color to each side
Top with your favorite toppings


Comments

Popular Posts