French toast sticks

I've made these several times now but I've written it done here for my bliggity blog.

None of my grocery stores carry English muffin bread that hasn't already been sliced.  I made a loaf from King Arthur flour one weekend to try it out.    I was able to cut the bread to thickness myself but in the end, it was way more work than I wanted to do.  I've been using a loaf and a half of English muffin bread to make this recipe.  Since the bread is a little thinner, the batter goes a little farther. 

From The Kitchn

Once the sticks are cooled, place on a sheet pan and then freeze for 30 minutes before putting them all in a zip top bag in the freezer.

To reheat, place a few on a plate and heat on 80% power in the microwave 50-60 seconds. 

1 1/2 loaves English Muffin bread cut into thirds
2 tbs butter
2 cups half and half or heavy cream
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Preheat your oven to 375
Generously butter two rimmed baking sheets
Mix the custard in a large bowl
Dip bread in the custard and place on rimmed sheet making sure they don't touch
Bake 5 minutes and then flip, cook another 5 minutes or until golden brown


Comments

Popular Posts