Black bean burgers

When the other members of the PB&C chutney ask for burgers for dinner, sometimes I join them but in reality, I really love grilled chicken or even turkey burgers.  I also lovelovelove veggie burgers.  I've been testing out some different recipes here and there and I found a keeper from Serious Eats (though I want to try some more because I really want one with rice in in).  This one is a black bean burger.  I loved this recipe because it didn't need unusual ingredients and I froze the rest of the burgers for a quick reheat when I was running low on time to feed myself lunch or dinner (this happens a lot).

2 cans (14 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped small
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
about 1 tsp blended chipotle in adobe (I blend a small jar peppers and sauce and keep it in the fridge)
3/4 cup dry roasted cashews
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
2 tbs mayo
1 egg
3/4 cup panko
salt and black pepper

Bake the black beans in the middle of a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the bean skins crack and beans start to get a bit crunchy.
Remove from oven and cool slightly.
In a medium skillet, add oil to heat and then add onion and pepper and cook about 5 minutes until soft.
Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
Add chipotle peppers and cook 30 seconds until fragrant.
Add to a large bowl.
Pulse the cashews in a food processor about 12 times to get to 1/3 inch pieces and add to onion mixture.
Pulse the beans and cheese together until beans are the same size as the cashews.
Add to the large bowl.
Add panko, salt and pepper, egg and mayo and fold together until just combined.
Form into 6-8 patties depending on the size of your hamburger buns.

To freeze, lay flat on a rimmed baking sheet and freeze for 15 minutes.  Place in a large bag with wax paper as a divider between patties.

To reheat, thaw for one hour and then place 1 tbs of vegetable oil in a small pan.
Heat over medium heat and cook about 5 minutes per side.

Comments

Popular Posts