Orzo with chicken, tomatoes, spinach and goat cheese

So many yummy things in here made this a nice, fast weeknight dinner.

I made a couple of changes to the original recipe at My Recipes. 

1 1/4 cups uncooked orzo
1 large chicken breast, pounded flat, seasoned with salt and pepper, grilled and chopped  
1 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach 
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved 
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper 
1/4 onion (I have to find a way to make these less tart for the kids.  I've tried soaking in ice water.  Maybe slightly pickled next time?) 
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil 
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano 
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar 
2 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil *
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1/4 teaspoon black pepper 
6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese 

Cook pasta according to package directions drain well.
Combine pasta, chicken, and the next 6 ingredients (through oregano) in a large bowl; toss well.
Combine vinegar, oil, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
Drizzle vinegar mixture over pasta mixture; toss well to coat.
Sprinkle with cheese.

*I doubled the recipe for the vinagriette and I still needed more dressing.  I used some salad dressing I had in the fridge but you might want to make a bunch of dressing (several times this quantity) and dress to your liking, saving the rest for another day. 

Comments

Popular Posts