Chicken with Israeli couscous, lemon and tomatoes

I pinned this recipe a few weeks ago from The Bitten Word.
I love Clay and Zach's blog. They started blogging in 2008 when they were moved to try the recipes from the numerous food magazines they subscribed too. I love that they always give a review of the recipe that they try, it's really helpful for me to see what changes they would make if they made it again.
I wanted to try this recipe as I wanted to try Israeli couscous again. That said, I'm going to make some adjustments for our liking too.

1 tbs olive oil
1 c. Israeli couscous
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 Roma or plum tomatoes (about 1 pound), peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced (1 tbsp)
4 strips lemon peel (2 inches each)
Pinch of saffron
1/2 c. dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
1 1/2 c. homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 c. frozen peas, thawed
1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
Feta cheese, optional

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add couscous, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, remove and transfer to a bowl.
Cook chicken, smooth side down, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. 
Flip, and cook for 2 minutes more.
Transfer to a plate, reserving drippings in skillet.
Reduce heat to medium, add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, garlic, lemon peel, and saffron, and cook, stirring frequently, until tomatoes begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add wine, and cook for 4 minutes.
Add stock, salt, and couscous, and stir.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until couscous is tender and chicken is cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes.
Stir in peas, and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
Serve immediately with lemon and top with cheese if desired.

 Toddler review-
It was like pulling teeth to get them to eat this dinner. Mr. PB&C had seconds, I wanted to save some for my lunch later this week so I didn't have any more. It was so good. The lemon is a must and we just happened to have some feta cheese and it was perfect on top. Next time I think we'll poach the chicken ahead of time and add it at the end just to warm through.  We will be making this again but I hope the small ones learn to like it as much as we do.

Comments

Popular Posts