Potato crusted quiche

Turns out, I made a quiche last week and I ended up with way too much custard and needed to use it somehow.  I had no more pie crusts (I know I should know how to make my own by now but I haven't attempted it yet) but I did have a bunch of potatoes.  I used this recipe from Taste of Home for the crust.  I got to texting with my Mom about quiche in general and wanted to write down a few guidelines for quiche.

It's really a clean out your fridge kind of dish.  Add in whatever cheese you've got (about 6 ounces), a little protein and some vegetables and with some milk or half and half and eggs and you've got dinner.

When you add your veggies, make sure they won't release too much moisture.  Something like spinach will need to be cooked before hand and drained of the moisture.  Mushrooms, same thing.

This time around it was ham, swiss and cheddar, spinach and oven dried tomatoes.

Put all everything in the bottom of your pie or potato crust then mix up 1 cup of milk or half and half with two eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and a tiny bit of cayenne pepper and pour over.

Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes then turn down to 350 and cook until the center is just set.

And now the details of the potato crust.

4 large potatoes peeled and shredded, squeezed dry
1/2 cup shredded onion
1 egg beaten
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all together and then press into a well oiled deep dish pie plate.
For the potato version, bake just the crust (sans filling and custard mixture) at 400 or 20 minutes then add the rest of the ingredients and bake until set.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts