Israeli couscous risotto

One of my girls asks for this regularly since making it the first time.  I picked it because I have year round access to fresh oregano thanks to our small plant and because I love Israeli couscous.  Someone is my family doesn't like the fresh mozzarella so we leave it out of his portion.


3 c tomato puree 
4 c. chicken broth
12 springs of oregano, divided
2 tbs olive oil
2 c. Israeli couscous
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 oz (or more) fresh mozzarella cheese

Combine the tomato puree, chicken broth and a few springs of oregano in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
Heat the oil in a large pan and add the couscous and garlic and toss to coat and cook for 1-2 mins (don't let your garlic burn!)
Add the remaining oregano and the broth mixture about 1/2 cup at a time and cook until the liquid is absorbed just like you would with risotto.
Continue adding liquid until the couscous is tender (don't add the oregano springs when you add to the couscous).
Remove from heat and add the fresh mozzarella.  I like the pearl or cherry tomato sized balls but if you have the larger ball size, tear or cut into small pieces and add to the finished couscous and stir gently.

4/2022 update    
I made this for lunch yesterday and it was awesome.  Added some hot pepper flakes and a little more salt.
If you can't find the large container of pearled couscous, two boxes work in a pinch.  It still calls for 4 cups of liquid to prepare as a side dish.  I wondered if that liquid plus another 3 cups of tomato sauce would leave it too saucy.  It was not.  

5/2022 update-
I had way too much liquid.  Going to have to revisit the proportions again.  We're making something that uses broth and tomato sauce anyway but for the record, we had about 2 cups leftover.  It uses an entire large can of tomato sauce so that's good since you won't have leftovers from that.  

9/2022 update-
Using a full big can of tomato sauce and 1 cup of broth because that's all we have.  Mr PB&C is going to report back when he makes it and I'll update again .
Forgot to update after this.

1/2024 update-
Followed this exactly and doubled it (we are in the hungry kid era) and we had less than 1/2 cup left.  I think it's fine as written.  I'll call the first update an error by the chefs. 

Comments

Popular Posts