Zucchini Patties with Feta

When CSA boxes overflow with zucchinis, give this a try.
Recipe from Epicurious.
2 1/2 c. coarsely grated zucchini (from about 3 medium)
1 tsp salt, divided
large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/2 c.(or more) all purpose flour
1/2 c.crumbled feta cheese
1 c.chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/2 c. chopped green onions
1 1/2 tbs chopped fresh dill
1/2 c.(about) olive oil
1/2 c.(about) corn oil
Plain Greek yogurt

Toss zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon salt in large bowl and let stand 5 minutes.
Transfer to sieve and press out excess liquid; place zucchini in dry bowl.
Mix in egg, yolk, 1/2 cup flour, cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Mix in parsley, onions, and dill.
If batter is very wet, add more flour by spoonfuls.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons corn oil in large skillet over medium heat.
Working in batches, drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into skillet until golden, 5 minutes per side, adding more olive oil and corn oil as needed.
Transfer to paper towels.
Serve with yogurt.

If making ahead-Can be made 1 day ahead.
Place on baking sheet, cover, and chill.
Rewarm uncovered in 350°F oven 12 minutes.

Updated 9/18/2011
These were really good. I increased the cheese since my sister suggested it but left the dill as written. I'm really not good at frying things in oil so I was really worried about this recipe. The trick, I've found is to not overcrowd the pan, I only have 5 or 6 fritters in the pan at one time and they didn't come out greasy at all. I put in less than 1/2 c. of oil in the pan to start with and I had a bunch leftover that I had to pour out. They didn't absorb much oil at all. The smallest toddler ate 4 or 5, the bigger toddlers weren't fans.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts